Friday, May 17, 2013

The Selection - Kiera Cass


 

10 out of 10!

Goodreads summary-

 For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Hello Lovelies!

 Okay let's start from the beginning. I read this book in less than a day. I absolutely love this book! I've read it 4 times and it keeps getting better. 
 
I love this book so much there are some SPOILERS so reader beware.


When the book begins, America is just a poor girl who is in love with a boy, Aspen, that's below her station. This struck me as similar to The Hunger Games with Gale and Katniss. The reader is given every reason to love Aspen. Until he messes everything up, of course.

Enter Prince Maxon. I love this character. He is sweet and instantly connects with America. America of course does not want to be with him and yells at him the first time she meets him. I love America because she is one of those characters who does not care in the least what anyone else thinks of her. 

She makes a deal with Maxon that even though she doesn't want to be queen, if he lets her stay so her family can get the money that being in the Selection brings, she will become his confidant. Their relationship is adorable! They tug their ears to signal they need to meet. How cute is that? :)

Enter Aspen again.....of course. As soon as America begins to think she could be with Maxon.....of course. But as I've said before, there has to be a conflict for there to be 3 books. 

Aspen is drafted by the military and given orders to guard the palace where he sees America again. He drives me nuts! He didn't want her to lower herself but now that he's on her level he wants to take her away from what could be the love of her life. 

The book ends when she becomes one of the last six in the Selection. Those six become the Elite and that's where the book leaves off.

I love this book and will most likely read it again. Maxon and America's relationship makes me smile. I want them to end of together at the end of this series. Every time Aspen shows up, I cringe.  

I have read the second book in the series already and that will most likely be the next review I do. 

I would love to know what you all think of this book if you have read it. As always, leave me a comment letting me know what you think and what other posts you would like me to do.

Thanks for reading!

C.



No comments:

Post a Comment