Thursday, July 18, 2013

Read Across America Challenge: Nevada

Hello Lovelies!

This is my second review for my Read Across America Challenge!

Nevada is the state in which the book Crank by Ellen Hopkins is set.





9 out of 10!

Goodreads summary:

In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.

Thoughts:


I loved this book. Kristina is a timid character that reminded me of myself when I read this book. It is a scary concept but Hopkins writes it in a way that the reader sees the change in Kristina happen steadily. 

Kristina comes back home from visiting her dad with an addiction to crank and begins to become a different person because of it. She does whatever she has to do to get this drug and begins to see herself on this drug as a completely different person. Bree, her alter-ego, takes over her narrative when she is on the drug. It is told as if she is no longer Kristina.  

The storyline is good by itself but the real reason I love this book is the style in which Hopkins writes it. It is an ever-changing poem that makes the story come to life in a way that a regularly written book cannot. The stanzas are not set up in a way that is consistent from page to page. I love her style of writing.
 
This book is based on Hopkin's daughter who went through a similar situation with drugs and you can tell while reading that Hopkins can relate very closely to the character she is writing about. 

It has been a while since I have read this book but it is thrilling and a book to get emotionally wrapped up in. 

I know this is a rather short review since it has been a while since I have read this book but I do highly recommend it to anyone who likes the main character to struggle through something of this magnitude. It is an excellent read and I couldn't put it down.

I will try to do a review for this challenge every week but once I run out of the books I have it may take me a while to find the others on the list so please be patient with me. 

Leave me a comment! I love them!

Thanks for reading!

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment